Saturday, March 29, 2014

Positive Thinking.....

I know that title sounds like this post is going to be heavy... But I'll try not to go there!

However.... I just want to give those two words the credit they deserve!!

They can get you through some tough and not so tough times.

Think about quilting for example.... How many of us looked at a beautiful quilt before we became a quilter and uttered the words....." I could never make a quilt".

Thankfully we turned our negative thought to a positive thought and poof we became quilters.   Well maybe we became proficient in ripping (un-quilting) at first but that positive thinking snuck into our brains and again we succeed!!

How about the Little Red Engine..... "I think I can, I think I can".   Me I say... "I think I can, I think I can..... Use up all my fabric before I die".  Ok maybe I'm being overly optimistic but like my mom says... I plan on living to 120 to make all the quilts  I want to make!

So what have I been upto??  Well an unexpected situation took me out of town.  Thankfully I have a portable "Sanctuary".

Quilting not only fills down time but can fill your thoughts when ya need a break from the stresses of life.  

I was "positive " I brought to much with me but then again I was positive I'd be ticked off if I ran out of stuff to do!

Here's my set up.

I have been wanting to make the sailboat quilt from the Missouri Star Quilt Co tutorial.  So that's what I brought with me.

And so I begin.....

I added The Quilt Show while I was sewing.... Talk about leaving reality for awhile!
With Jenny Doan's method, it wasn't long before all my boats were made and the half square triangles ( used for the sails) were done!

If you haven't try it yet.... I'm positive most will love the half square triangle method from Jenny.  You take two squares, right sides together, sew a quarter inch on all 4 sides then cut it on the diagonal (or diangle hehe).  Very slick method!!  

 I also brought my leaders and Enders challenge from Bonnie Hunter... Lozenges.

 When I was cutting the half hexie for boat bottoms I thought the little wedges that appear to be waste looked a lot like the wedges for the Eleanor Burns swirling star.... So I sewed them together and will positively trim them when I get home!


So with a little bit... Well a lot of rain.... But it beats the cold and snow of Erie.... I had a few hours to spend in my traveling sewing room.

Rain rain go away!!


Sails and boats done.....


Ta Da......


Still needs a skinny white border and a wider printed border but that will have to wait til I get home.

I have manage to keep up with my hexies and decided I would start doing more than one a Day.. So I can start adding white around them....

Note the sandals!!!  I'm am absolutely positively ready for winter to be over!!  

Happy Sewing!

Jill

9 comments:

  1. Great post Jill! Love the sailboat quilt! Love you!!!!!! Cousin Jeni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Love you.....talk to you soon!!!

      Delete
    2. I love the sail boat quilt. Good job. Before you know it, you will have too many hexies and will have to share....ha, ha. Missed you the other night at stash blasters. We have snow again.... heavy and slushy. See you soon, Judy

      Delete
    3. Judy.... If I ever have to many hexies.... I will share them with you!!!

      Delete
  2. I love the sailboats!!! Now I want to make one! You used your down time for a positively great project. Me, I'm in cold Erie , not wearing sandals, watching it snow again!! Just came back from taking 8 more quilts to Sarah for her Girl Scout Gold Award and visiting with Dad and Mom. See you back in Erie soon!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See you soon!!!! I feel a sew day coming on!!!!

      Delete
  3. Looks like you just might need those sailboats with all the rain! Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I was going to have to start building the ark!! but rain has gone but so will I soon...so won't be enjoying the sunny weather...but that's ok...I'm looking forward to getting back home to my family and friends!!

      Delete
  4. Love the topic! See you soon. Leslie

    ReplyDelete