Saturday, March 1, 2014

The Making of a Dream into Reality.....

Last night I had a dream, not like Martim Luther King Jr. mind you, but a dream about creating a quilt. It was out of wool and it had hexagon's in it.  I don't know if it was because my post from yesterday talked about wool and hexies and it got  stuck in my head....or not...but it just wouldn't go away. I woke up a few times last night, but each time I still was thinking about this quilt. 

So I decided to see if I could get this quilt out of my head.


I got out my Accuquilt (love it!!) and my Hexagon die, gathered up some wool, 60 degree ruler, grabbed a piece of paper, pencil and for good measure a Reeses's peanut butter heart!!  Chocolate and peanut butter promotes creativity....doesn't it??




Once I had a rough draft of what I thought looked ok, I started.  (Diet Coke with Splenda also promotes creativity in my house...well at least it promotes alertness).

I cut out my hexagons.




These needed to be turned into rectangles, so I cut gray strips and using my 60 degree ruler and cut the triangles for the sides.  


After they were cut out, I  used the ruler to cut off the dog ears of the other 2 sides.




I started by chain sewing a triangle on one side, then sewing a triangle on the opposite side.  I ironed the triangles towards themselves, then adding the next triangle next to the first one and then next to the opposite one.






Once they were all sewn and ironed, the sides were trimmed, leaving a 1/4" seam allowance at the intersection of the triangles.



That's where I had to stop for a bit.....


I had asked a few friends over for a sew day....

Sandy brought her socks to show and knit.  She does very intricate patterns....It's hard to call them socks, they are works of art!!


She has also designed her own fingerless gloves!  Very talented!!  She also quilts but today was knitting!


Sally and her sister Peggy came to sew,  I didn't get any pictures....but trust me, they were having a good time.  Sally was making place mats and Peggy was making a Jiffy Quilt.  They will be back....maybe I can convince them to show us their projects!


AND of course Melly came!!  Not a sew day until my bestie shows up!  She was working on "You got Mail" from Jenny Doan.  Appropriate quilt for her to make....she works for the post office!! 


So after lots of talking, giggling, sewing, chocolate, and eating, it was time for my friends to head home.  Melly stayed a little bit longer to provide moral support to get this quilt out of my head.


I started with a lone hexie and added the gray to it.





I decided to do a semi-log cabin and added strips.  Let me just say...I just bought a bunch of wool from someone who had made a few braided rugs, but decided that she didn't want to do it  anymore.  She not only had whole pieces, there were strips already cut....so I used them!!!  (I still want to make a braided rug....and there's still plenty left to accomplish this).




Added a few more rows and decided that section was done.

Next, I started with a strip of 4 hexies.  Again using the strips at whatever width they were,  I sewed them to three sides.


Once I got done with that, I added gray to both sections to make them the same size.  I also sewed the remaining hexies I'd cut, end to end and added filler gray to each end.  Then I sewed all pieces together.


I am not done, I consider this about 2/3's complete.  I have a few ideas of what I want to add to the left of the row of hexies, but it is late and I have to work in the morning.  I'm hoping to get back to this tomorrow afternoon.

(Maybe if I sit on mom's new creation, she'll play with me)


Here's my hexie for my "hexie a day" montra.  


Happy Sewing!!


4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear that I am not the only one who wakes up with ideas in my head. Today it was a St. Patrick's Day block/pillow. Where did that come from - I'm not even Irish!
    By the way, didn't know you are a hooker - how about a demo at Stash Blasters? That's something I've always wanted to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to see what you created!!! I can do a demo if the group wants it!!! Besides braiding a rug ... I'd like to hook a rug... Just need more time!

      Delete
    2. I wish I could wake up with ideas in my head. Hooking demo is a wonderful idea! I think... :)

      Delete
    3. I'm just glad I remembered it.... :) Waynna....I missed you at Stash Blasters...I was hoping to see that beautiful quilt you did with the English paper piecing! Hope to see you Monday!!

      Delete