Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Charity Quilts.....

I can't believe it's Wednesday already!  It's been a busy week but I haven't been able to "play" until today.  Before I talk about that....let's talk charity...


I am working on quilting a charity quilt.




Kathy from the quilt guild I belong to (North East Crazy Quilters) made this beautiful quilt and she donated it to Melly's niece Sarah.



Melly, me(in the middle), and Heidi (Melly's sister) have been friends for approximately 16 years.   They have really become sisters to me and I cherish our friendship!!  (Translated....they put up with all my quirks and still love me!  that's sisters in my book!). In the time we have been sewing together, we have made over 500 quilts for either our local Shrinner's hospital or Project Linus.  

Sarah, at a very young age has "helped" us.  She was doing the best a 3-6 year old could do to "help" and be one of the girls.  I can remember vividly Sarah picking out blocks and laying them out on the floor.  She would lay them on the di-angle (as she said for diagonal) (to this day...we still say di-angle, she doesn't, but we do).  Melly taught her how to pick them up the Eleanor Burns method to chain sew.  We would sew them and she would be so proud of her quiltie!  We were very proud of her and still are very proud!!!!


Over the years Sarah was able to do more and more of the quilt process.  Sarah has a younger sister Kate (I/we call her Katie Kate) Katie Kate was exposed to the making of kid quilts at day 3. Yes at age 3 days old!   God love Heidi, she got home from the hospital and hosted a sew weekend at her house.  Katie Kate was in her play pen just absorbing the fun!!  She too has helped along the way and  also helped with Sarah's project!  I believe Katie's job was to hand sew labels on the quilts donated and help tie some of the quilts. 


Sarah is a senior this year and choose Project Linus as her project for the Girl Scout Gold Award.  Sarah went around to different organizations and talked about her project, which was to help Project Linus and donate 150 quilts (I believe over the next 3 years). 


Sarah, Heidi, and Katie came to our guild meeting in January to talk to the ladies about her project.  Little did Sarah know, Kris from our guild put the word out and ask the ladies to bring a quilt to donate.  It was so awesome to see Sarah, this beautiful, poised, young lady speaking to a group with such ease!!  Where'd our little Sarah go??


Now for the praise to our guild.....


You'd figure that several ladies would bring quilts and help....but who would of thought that at the end of the night, Sarah would end up with 85 quilts.....85!!!


Part of me wasn't surprised because we have such generous members!  They rose to the challenge and several of the ladies donated more than one quilt!!  Talk about exceeding expectations!


I believe through all Sarah efforts, she ended up with over 150 quilts and we still have a few to finish! 


Sarah has recently found out that she earned her Gold Award and will receive it in the next month or so.  WAY TO GO SARAH!!!

Now on to what going on in my head....

Here's a sneak peak at what I'm working on:




I'm using up my 1 1/2" strips and white background fabric to make a new modern quilt that popped into my head.  I can't wait to reveal it...well that is if it turns out the way it looks in my head.


Side note:  While looking for my container of 1 1/2" squares....and yes I said LOOKING because you know I can never just go and get what I want without having to "look" for it!!!  But that's not always a bad thing because I usually find something I hadn't seen in a while.  It like a treasure hunt!!!  Today I found the Missouri Star Quilt Co. Charm Pack sized Tumbler!  Being that I forgot I even owned it...it was twice the surprise!!  But as you can see, I found it and it already had my initials on it...so it's mine...


Lastly....I'm still on track and have been doing my hexie a day!


Happy Sewing!








1 comment: