Sunday, March 9, 2014

Where'd this weekend go......

On Friday, I decided to take it easy this weekend.  Now that it's Sunday night and I'm recapping my weekend...I think I don't understand what it means to take it easy!


Saturday I got up early, got dressed and out the door I went to pick up my friend Sandy (she's the excellent knitter and quilter from previous post.).  We were off to Meadville, PA.  It's a small city that's about 45 miles south of Erie.  I grew up in Meadville and it always makes me smile when I go there...lots of wonderful childhood memories!  Well not all....I do have two brothers and we all know boys drool and girls rule!!  Actually, my brothers were pretty cool...but don't tell them I said that!


Why Meadville you ask (or if you didn't I am going to answer it anyways)...I had a coupon.  That's not totally the reason...but close enough. 


Fox's Sewing and Vac is a great quilt shop!!  The selection of fabrics is awesome.  They have a huge a variety of fabric,- whatever your fabric preference, I believe they have it!  Not to mention a great variety of pre-cuts, fat quarters and a huge selection of panels.  Almost forgot the "sale table"....can't forget to check that out!!  Last time I was there, I signed up for their rewards program.  I had a $10 off coupon that was about to expire....I really don't need a reason to go there, but it's always good to have a reason to tell your husband!


This is Tammy Fox.  Tammy is the owner of the store and is very helpful and friendly, all the staff are.  When Sandy and I got there (9:30am ish), I think we were the only customers in the store.  We started looking around and picked out some fabrics and all of a sudden it seemed to get louder in the store. 

While we were standing in line to get our fabric cut, we found out why.  They asked us if we were part of "Marge's Group", I said "No, but can we join in if it's fun?"  They laughed and explained the ladies that were around us were having a retreat at Marge's.  We met them and they were really nice and funny.  I have to say...I love meeting quilters...we always find something to giggle about!  One lady, like me grew up in Meadville, but doesn't live there anymore.  She shared the end of a bolt with me.  She told the funniest story about her boss being English and thinking they were going to get chickens...I can't do the story justice, but trust me with her doing the English accent..."We aren't getting chickens"  ...it was funny!   I believe most of them were related and were there for the weekend to sew.  They appeared to be making a dent in the inventory!! 


The store had a ugly fabric challenge.  I think you bought a bag (sight unseen) with a piece of fabric in it and you had to make something out of it.  The entries were very nice!  Sandy and I voted on the ones we liked. 


After that fun, we headed over to the Yarn Vault.  They have a great selection of yarn and notions that would make a knitter/crocheter very satisfied!!  Sandy made her purchase and we were headed back home.  I got home just in time to make lunch.




Here's my purchases.


They sell "mystery bags" for $5.00....you know me...I love a good mystery package!!

Sophie decided she wanted to see what was in the bag...


4 fat quarters and a pattern....for $5 .....I LIKE it!!!!


Check out Fox's at:  https://www.facebook.com/pages/Foxs-Sew-Vac/114519631939263


Ok....I had to focus on the goal of the day.....finish quilting the wool quilt. 




The quilting on back showed up much better for the picture.

Front of quilt 


Ta Da!!!  I got the binding, a sleeve and a label on it....just needs to have the binding hand sewn. 


That was enough for Saturday...besides we were turning the clocks ahead, so I went to bed a little early to help adjust.


Got up this morning and decided to make a list of "stuff" I need to get done today.


That dang Sophie needs some warm weather so she can run and not be my Siamese twin all day!!


I am going to add a skinny border then a piano key border to finish this quilt top.  I'm planning on giving this as a charity raffle quilt.


As of this writing...I got my list completed with time to spare...I even managed to wear out Miss Sophia!!


Ok....so what's next...well I had another idea for a new modern quilt...you'll  have to wait for the reveal, which maybe a little while...I have a few things on my list a head of this...but knowing me...I'll squeeze it in some how!!


I am still on target for my hexies!!  I have been thinking (and would love opinions!) of either making a whole hexie quilt or appliquéing the "rosettes"  on a plain block and assembling the blocks to make a quilt.  hhhhmmmmm what to do, what to do.


Happy Sewing!!

No comments:

Post a Comment