Saturday, March 15, 2014

World Wide Quilting Day

Good Morning from Erie, PA...that's my little spot on the world that I call quilting home!!!


How about you?  Please leave a comment and tell me where your spot on the world is that you are quilting in.


I decided this morning, since it's a "holiday" on quilting, I would reflect on my love of quilting and share some of my favorite things about quilting....


First and Foremost, there's my mom....She is the one who brought me into this world (and I'm sure while I was growing up...wanted to take me out of this world...hehe) and taught me how to sew, crochet, and knit.  What I love about quilting with my mom in mind...it has given us an avenue to take many quilting trips together and we have laughed and giggled like no other mom and daughter have!!  We still go on a quilt retreat twice a year with others whom are either family or who I consider family (I will post more about that in May ....out next retreat).


This is my mom with her Dahlia quilt.  She sews to perfection (to bad I didn't get that gene) and will tear out a seam until they match! (that gene skips a generation...that's my story and I'm sticking to it!).  I quilted this for her this year for her Christmas present.  I won't tell you when my mom started this quilt...if she wants you to know, she can leave a comment on that subject...


With all that said, I it's really being with family and quilting that I cherish a lot!  From my Aunt Martha, whom I call FAM (favorite aunt Martha), she is a very special person in my life...they should have her picture next to the definition of Aunt in the dictionary.  

Then there's my Aunt Mary and her family in West Virginia...that's my cousin Jeni's family that I have posted about berfore.  

Even my children have quilted with me at times.  The boys would sew with me when they were little and it was still cool to hang with mom.  My daughter Julie made her own quilt.  She hasn't sewn with me in years, but I cherish the memory of that quilt she made.  I am hoping to start the grand daughters on sewing string blocks....to see if they will get the quilting bug!


Then there's friends...and as you all know by now...Melly is my bestie...We tell the story that we met at a quilt shop.  Sat down next to each other and started talking and haven't shut up since!!  Tho that may sound funny...it's pretty much a true statement!  

Boy we have not only spent many an hour sewing but have spent many an hour talking/venting about whatever has fussed us up, and many hours helping each other through some tough times....again...the definition of bestie!!    

Who wouldn't call someone your bestie, who will keep you up late sewing and then at 3am before you go to sleep has the need to lay blocks out so that she can pick them up the Eleanor Burns method and have them ready to sew together first thing in the morning (mind you, it was already morning....but None The Less).  Oops...forgot to add...it took her  approximately 20 minutes to decide which block should go in the top left hand corner (don't forget..this was 3am).  I guess I get the bestie award on that one...but would do it all over tomorrow if she wanted !!

Again, I plan on posting about the ladies I "retreat" with...but I did want to mention that Myra, Arlene, and Heidi are just the most beautiful ladies to spend time with!!  I know I will probably forget to mention someone...so let me just say here...If I have met you and we have quilted and spent time together, I appreciate and cherish you!!!


This picture has Myra (top right), Arlene (bottom left), and FAM (bottom right).


Then there's the guild that I belong to, North East Crazy Quilters.  What a great bunch of ladies!!  I have learned so much from these ladies.  Isn't that what's all about...sharing!  

One of the perks of the guild is that they have "weekend sew".  Anyone from guild can come and sew.  It's all day/evening Friday and then again on Saturday til 5.  I don't make it out there as much as I'd like, but I did make it last night.



Bring whatever you want to work on and if you don't know how to do something..there's usually someone who does and is willing to help!


Jennifer is showing us her progress on a quilt she's making.  This picture isn't doing it justice!  She is putting her own twist on the pattern.


Here's Kay and Judy...Lee is in the back ground knitting.


Kris's table is busy working away


This is Kris's project....she is hand appliqueing wool leaves on her quilt.  It is turning out really nice!

Cheryl missed the guild meeting and was showing us her "Sudoku" quilt....very nice!!


Melody put the binding on this quilt and was showing it completed.  This is one of the Project Linus quilts that was donated to Sarah's project.  Group effort....Barbra made it, Waynna quilted it, and Melly bound it....Done!!  WTG girls!!


Here we all are checking out Kay's progress on her stack and slash! 


It's it beautiful!!!!


I forgot to mention all the great food I have has along the way as a quilter.  From meals at sew days at my house, to retreats, to weekend sew....I don't know if I'm just lucky or all quilters are great cooks...but I have never had a bad meal!!!  I'm surprised I'm only slightly over weight (slightly is my opinion...keep your opinion of my weight to yourself...hehe)


I've already posted about Stashblasters which is another group that is mostly our guild members...but again another group of ladies I cherish!


Through the years I have met some "famous" quilters, Eleanor Burns, Bonnie Hunter, Angela Walters, Alex Anderson, Jenny Doan.  Some I have actually got to spend quality time with!!  I don't tell you that to "name drop" but I say it because I feel blessed to have met them and shared the love of quilting with them!


Icing on the "quilting cake":  Getting my longarm quilting machine!  I have wanted one for over 10 years, so 2 and a half years ago, I  took the plunge!!  I have enjoyed that journey and absolutely love free motion quilting!!  

I have to give a shout out to Innova, who is the manufacture of my machine!!  I believe it is one of the best out there and the customer service is none like I have ever seen!!  Not that anything goes wrong with the machines....but when it's late at night and you can't figure out, say tension, you can call get a call back and be all fixed and up and running!!  No waiting til morning to figure out "operator errors"!!!

Then there's Virginia Longarm Network.  Valerie is the owner and she is so in tune to the quilting industry!!  She understands the quilters need and provides an avenue for the quilter to grow and be the best they can be!!  

The new owner training she provides is just what every new longarm owner needs....you walk away feeling like you aren't such a newbie at all!  This is due to her trainer Michelle...I can't say enough about Michelle...what an awesome trainer!!  Vicky who also works there is awesome!!!!  They have taught me a lot in the short time I have know them!  http://virginialongarm.com/           Check them out!
 I walked away from that training not only more knowledgeable and confident, but Made new friends from those who attended!!  Win win in my book!!

Lastly, I have to mention my husband, Duane....who not only puts up with me (which gets him a spot in heaven for that feat alone) but allows me to grow and encourages me in all my quilting endeavors!!  Not to mention he really doesn't complain when the Daily Deal package (or whatever I have bought) shows up at the front door.  I wish I had a picture of his face the first time a roll of batting shipped to the house.  He tell everyone that the box was the size of a refrigerator!


I hope you all have a great quilting day not only today, but tomorrow and so on!!


Happy Sewing!!


P/S...still on track with my hexies!! 






 

3 comments:

  1. Jill, I love all your pictures! Give your Mom a BIG hug from me. I so miss my Mom. I'm so happy that you still have yours with you. I'm hoping to do some sewing tomorrow.....finally! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting weekend sew pics. It's like reliving the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posted link https://virginialongarm.com/ has an error. It should read http://virginialongarm.com/ no "s" on http

    ReplyDelete