Thursday, February 27, 2014

Stash Blasters was tonight!!!

I have to say again..... I am blessed to have such wonderful friends!!

This group was started several years ago by a quilt shop owner.... Idea was to use up your "stash".   After awhile they switched to Farmers Wife blocks.  When the quilt shop closed, these ladies didn't want the fun to end, so they started meeting at each other's houses.

I joined the group a few years ago and made 6 farmers wife blocks..... I think there is a total of 120... So I have a few more to go. (Actually I tried to sell mine tonight :).   but they already had completed the ones I did....I guess I will turn mine into a table runner or wall hanging).

This year we decided to try new techniques and we would take turns presenting one.

I volunteered for this month.... English paper piecing.  Why..... You ask.... 

At the beginning of this year I thought "I should hand sew for a little bit each day...." I will blog tomorrow on how that's working out.  

Focus....back to Stash Blasters....

We met at Pauline's house.  Her husband made potato soup and homemade biscuits for us!! 

I gave my demo.... I showed the Quilt Patis method.  I have had these since late 90's.....

Melly and I started a scrappy quilt and worked on them on and off for years..... Mined you, we were more off than on!!  Last year we decided to finish them....  

Here's melly 's ( I forgot to bring mine to show.....as always.... Best friend has your back).  

Then I demo'd the English paper piecing method.....I made a sample "flower" to show....  



I  gave the ladies a sample pack for them to try.  I "encouraged" them to have their flower done to show next month!!  Come on ladies.... You can do it!!  (Side note... Melly didn't take one.... So I told her I'd make hers..... I got her back!)

After the demo.... We had show-n-tell!!  That's the best part.... Well dessert is the best part... But show-n-tell is a close second!!

Lisa showed her hats that she's been making with a nifty knitter.  She is making them for charity and wants to make 100 herself!!  Hats off to you Lisa!!!!

Cheryl went next and showed her completed blocks of Bonnie Hunters Celtic Soltice mystery quilt.  She choose a different color combination.  I think this quilt will be stunning when it is completed!  

Cheryl also has a line of purse patterns and will be teaching a class at Super Stitch in North East, Pa.  

This is the purse for the class!

She also made a baby quilt for a present...


Next Noreen showed her table runner.  X & O's.  I really like it....great choice of colors!!!  

Marie showed this beautiful quilt top.  She is very creative and sews beautifully!!  


Pauline made two baby quilts to give to Melly's niece Sarah....Sarah is a senior and is working on her gold star award for Girl Scouts.  (More bragging to come on that !!)

Pauline also showed her progress on Celtic Soltice.  
I love all the different color combination we have for mystery quilt!!

Melly....believes in git-er-done!!  She showed her last blocks of the Farmers Wife!!  WTG Melly (btw.... I have 6 blocks for sale)



Lynda showed showed her progress of Celtic Soltice .  She turn her chevrons to make her blocks look a little different.  Love it !!!


Lynda also does Zen Tangles.. She is quite the artist and does beautiful works of art!!!

She made this quilt as a gift for someone who wanted a flag in grays .... The picture doesn't do it justice!!

Kris showed her little flying geese... She made it out of scraps someone gave her...very nice.... One quilters scraps is another quilters new finish project we drooled over !!

Debbie showed her sudoku quilt.  Love her color choices!  She is going to embroider numbers in each square... So clever .... Can't wait to see it finished!!

Last but not least!!!!!!   

Pauline's home made cherry pie!!!  



Yummy!!!

Can't wait til next month!!  ( maybe someone will buy my blocks)

Happy sewing!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the demo! I hope to get back to paper piecing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too...LOL Hope your class goes well!! If anyone reads this and wants a purse pattern...How do they find them???

      Delete
  2. Love Lisa's expressive look and Noreen's great smile!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...but you all look great and are very talented!!! What a great group!!!

      Delete