Sunday, February 16, 2014

TA Da!!!!

For those who were wondering how I got my business name... When I finish a quilt I say. "TA Da!!"   Sometimes when I'm making a quilt I use other words.... But I won't go into that now  :).  

I started out with SID between the border and the main part of the quilt. 



Then I decided that I wanted to try a few of my new techniques and thread...... So I used  gray/black variegated thread in the border to do wood grain.


This I learned from Angela Walters.  She was at Birds of a Feather and has a few Craftsy classes (well worth the money!!). 

It took me a while to settle on the middle.... Did I want a contrasting thread, one that blended, or invisible.  Along with that I needed a pattern to.... What to do what to do....

I decided to try the invisible MonoPoly (not monopoly .... Which is what I thought it was called.... Oops. ). 

Now before I go on.... If my best friend Melody is reading this.... She just said "oh no, no way... Don't use invisible thread". We have never been able to successfully use invisible thread without it breaking several times!!   Well Melody.... I am so happy to report that my Innova and MonoPoly sewed beautifully!!!!!  


I settled on an all over teardrop/bubble design.  It added great texture!!  The sun peaked out for a minute so I took this picture.



This is part of the back so you can see the pattern more.


Here's a picture of the border corners.... I love wood grain .... Don't you??


I really enjoyed this and am glad I have one more quilt semi-done.  Binding yet to do..... 

Happy sewing!!!!!!

8 comments:

  1. So glad you mentioned the invisible MonoPoly. I'm looking for an invisible thread for a fabric panel wall hanging for my daughter. There were so many color variations, but wasn't sure about how the invisible thread would run on the Innova. I'll definitely try it.

    Your quilting is beautiful!

    Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Practice, practice, practice.....and I have enough of my own quilts to keep me busy! I would love to see a picture of the wall hanging when it's done!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Jill. Nice job on the quilting and trying new techniques. I was in the new owner's class with you in November. I'm glad to know you liked Angela's Craftsy classes. I have been thinking of trying one, now I will for sure. Glad the quilting is going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Terri!! I learned so much from that class and was glad to get to meet so many nice people!! You will like Angela's Craftsy classes!! I have negative spaces and feathers....really helped my quilting!! Hope you are loving your Innova as much as I am!

      Delete
  3. Jilly, The quilting looks great. I really like the wood grain. Glad the MonoPoly thread works!!! Your best friend, Melly!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Melly!!! I have a feeling I will need more invisible thread for us!!! :)

      Delete
  4. I can just see you, stepping back, taking a short overall look and saying "TaDa!" I bet that there are automatic hand motions too! The quilting adds so much to the quilt. Pretty loops and teardrops.

    ReplyDelete