Monday, June 30, 2014

Beach Ball......

When I saw Missouri Star Quilt Co tutorial of the Beach Ball.....I couldn't resist!  Besides I need a couple class samples so it makes sense to throw this project in to the mix of all the other stuff I'm doing!!




Melody and I sewed last Friday night and after I finished my mini periwinkle quilt top, I decided to start this one.  I decided to use a fat eight bundle I got.  It's Wren's and Friends by Gina Martin for Moda.


My Aunt Martha made a different quilt with this fabric and I fell in love with it.  I found the fabric, which has been out for awhile, at the Fat Quarter Shop!



After watching the YouTube tutorial...I was hooked!  All I got done Friday night was 1 block and I was anxious to get more done.




Well that wasn't going to be .....I got sidelined with vertigo!  My sinus's have been so plugged this year.  Don't know what's in the air this summer, but I've taken more psuedophed that I have in several years.


I lost the battle....sinus's swelled and put pressure on my inner ear and that caused the vertigo.  Ugh....was the word I used.  I went walking down the hallway like I had one too many to drinks and I felt like I had the hangover to match... 


However, quick trip to the doctor...a couple prescriptions later and poof....new person...well at least a functioning person!



Finally on Saturday, I felt like sewing.  Melody and I got together for a short sew day. 


Here's my first block from a week or so ago:


Notice the corner's....you "double snowball" them. 




The first corner is a 2 12" square that's sewn on the diagonal.  I don't like drawing all those lines....so



I just folded it in half and sew just right of the line.







Waste not, want not....



After I get done sewing the first seam and before I trim my corners.....I sew a second seam about 1/2" from the first....











I trim between them and iron them open.



Not sure what I'm going to do with those triangles, but I liked Melody's suggestion and I may try to incorporate them into a border.










Here's my progress from Saturday.




Happy Sewing!!


Jill


No comments:

Post a Comment