Friday, October 10, 2014

TGIF!!!

Hello everyone!!!




I swear this is my last out of town adventure (not last escapade tho) for this year.




I couldn't possibly miss my normal quilt retreat with what I call my "life line" friends and family!!!




There are 6 women that I share this retreat with twice a year....these ladies are each unique and add so much to my life!!!  I truly cherish these two weekends (May and October) each year.



This is my view for the weekend!!!  From Left clockwise around the table:  My mom, Judy, My Aunt Martha, Arlene, My bestie Melody, and last but never least!!!!!!  Heidi, Melody's sister.

So far we have ate way to much....haven't stopped laughing and somethings will have to stay at Turtle Rock Retreat (www.turtlerock-retreat.com) ....hehe ....and sewing like there's no tomorrow!!!



Arlene made these two butterfly hanky quilts and I quilted them for her.  By the smile on her face....I think she's happy with the quilting!!  She's working on the binding now....


A few years back, my mom and I bought a quilt kit for the pattern Gentle Breeze from my cousins Jeni and Gretchen's shop.  We both have been working on it, but my mom is better organized than me.

  I can't find my finished blocks....however, when I went looking for them, I found my pressing cloth that I had miss placed....so it's still a good day!!!  Heidi suggested I look in one of my Ikea bags....and I think she may have solved the mystery.  But I'll have to wait til I get home to verify.  

In my defense...Although I'm not trying to say I am organized...but we are replacing the ceilings in our house and everything has been move and miss placed....that's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!


Anyways.....back to our progress....


Isn't this beautiful!!  Mom hand pieced the pinwheels....and hand appliqued the cone flowers.  I'm taking it home with me to baste it for her and then she's going to hand quilt it.  

Me.....I tried hand piecing the pinwheels but my guess it hand piecing accuracy skips a generation and I couldn't get two blocks to turn out the same size.  I did hand applique my cone flowers but machine pieced the rest...so WHEN I find my blocks that are all stacked and ready to be sewn together....I will be machine quilting mine.


Melody and I have been working on the Missouri Star Quilt Co's Beach Ball....which was one of their tutorials.  

Side note.......Judy Fenton has secured Jenny Doan for her big quilt show next year!!!!  Jenny will be in Erie PA!!!!!   Visit her website to get details!!  www.millcreeksew.com.


We both have decided to change the layout/design a bit.....


Here's Melody's version so far.  I love her color's!!! 



Here's mine.  I'm using my fav....Wren's and Friends. 


We both saved the corner's of the first half square triangles we cut off and created a 2" half square from them.  We are planning on making them into pinwheels and incorporating them into a border!!  

Stay tuned .....hopefully we will have more progress on these this weekend!!


Aunt Martha is working on a purse pattern.....it's not together enough for a picture...but it will be completed shortly and I'll post a picture later.


Heidi started her weekend out by finishing 17 project Linus baby quilts!!!  




Heidi also did the foldy thing that's been featured in Quiltmaker magazine.  This started out as the hexie in the middle and a 10" background square.  No cutting of the background....it's a fold and sew method....pretty slick!




Next up.....Eden Sewing Center.....Scott beware...the crazy ladies are on there way shortly and we are looking to have a good time!!!  Stay tuned!!


How CUTE is this:






Aunt Martha made us all these Apple Mug Rugs!!!  I love her!!!  I call her FAM - favorite aunt Martha!!!   but I do have two FAM's.....favorite aunt Mary too!!  This chick is very blessed to have my mom and her two sisters as family.....acorn doesn't fall far from the tree!!




Happy Sewing!!!!


Jill





4 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds like a wonderful time Jill. Happy Sewing!! (And shopping!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raewyn!! We are having a great time!! Melody and Heidi say Hello!!!

      Delete
  2. What a great place to be with family and friends!

    ReplyDelete