Sunday, December 28, 2014

Creating from what you have....part 1

I had a customer stop at the studio with her children and asked if I could make a quilt for her sister.   I said sure, what would you like....

She replied "I don't know"....so I decided to ask a few questions.....  What's her favorite color...green and purple.  Ok.... Does she have special interests.... The kids got excited and said she loves her cat.   One added gray cat.   So that's what I was charged with...

I love this process!   Taking a few tidbits and creating a quilt!!  

I found this jelly roll by Robert Kaufman

Greens and purples..... Check

Now for the cats.... Well I have, on the Autopilot, a block I can quilt that is a cat. I will use gray thread.... I was listening... The cat is gray!!.. Check

So now I'm left with the blocks.... I've decided to do a 16 patch with the Kona solids (plus I added a few prints).

So I'm laying them out in 4's so I can make stratas.

Now to sew them together!

Got a few strips sewn so I'm pressing them ....

.
I am pressing my seams all to one side... 

Trimming off the beginning so I can cut into 2 1/2" segments....

Once I'm done with all that, I'll lay out 4 segments so that I will have my 16 patch.
Notice I layed each strip out so that I have my seams going in opposite direction .... That way they will nest when sewing.

Once they are sewn together.... A quick press and........


TA DA......


It's a 16 patch!!


My goal today is to get all the stratas sewn and hopefully sub cut....

Stay tuned for part two!!

Happy Sewing!!!!

Jill

1 comment: